October 28, 2017

Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Walnuts



As a kid, I hated brussels sprouts. This was uncharacteristic for me because I normally liked everything. Heck, I was a proud, card-carrying member of the clean-plate club. Yet, the canned versions of these miniature cabbages made me gag. Any attempt at swallowing them could transform a leafy ball into a misguided missile. 

My brothers and I ate our meals on high swivel stools at a 2-sided counter. When Mom opened a can of brussels sprouts, I prepared myself by holding a Dixie cup beneath the countertop. I popped the sprouts into my mouth and, when it was safe, spit them whole into the paper cup. I once hid a full cup behind the living room sofa, only to rediscover them 3 months later.

Mom eventually began roasting brussels sprouts for the holidays. The crispy outsides and the buttery, nutty flavor made me a convert. I now crave them!

Here is a recipe card from Martha Stewart Living's March 2007 edition. It is a refreshing change from roasted versions.

BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH TOASTED WALNUTS

To separate brussels sprout leaves, cut the stem from each sprout and ease apart the layers.
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • l ¼ pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed, leaves separated, cores discarded
  • ¼ cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat until butter has melted. Add brussels sprout leaves; cook, stirring often, until bright green and just tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in walnuts and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.

Share your "COMMENTS" below↓

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for weighing in...