March 29, 2017

Holy Moly!

C'mon now. We all have horrible diet-food memories that have scarred us. I anticipated that a low-carb lifestyle would affect some of my favorite comfort foods, I was never willing to settle for bad?

I have observed my husband, Barry, and 17-year-old son, Brock, gobbling pancakes with gusto. Memories of Saturday morning pancakes or high school kidnap breakfasts raced back. I found that I missed the comfort food connection. 

George Stella's book, The Complete Low-Carb Cookbook, features a recipe for "Maple Silver Dollar Pancakes". The ingredients include eggs, maple extract, almond flour, milled flax seed, and substitute sugar (I use a stevia blend). Until today, I had not flirted with a low-carb pancake. It was time to change that.

Neither Barry or Brock are strictly low-carb, but they both eat what I prepare. As pancake lovers, they knew ahead of time that these pancakes were not traditional. With maple extract and a sugar substitute in the recipe, it is not necessary to use syrup. Nonetheless, the guys wanted some maple syrup on top. 

I had them rate the pancakes.
Barry-o-meter: 10
Brock-o-meter: 13

What did I think? Holy moly! It felt like I had been reunited with an old friend. Nothing tasted fake or compromised. The flaxseed added enough fiber that I was full after 4 3-inch pancakes. The texture was wonderful; and the baking powder and baking soda added enough fluff. All I added to the top was butter and a squirt of whipped cream.

Guess what! I'm giving one of these cookbooks away! To enter, click HERE.
CLICK ON "COMMENTS" BELOW
TO WEIGH IN.

1 comment:

Thanks for weighing in...