October 31, 2017

Bacon Brussels Sprouts Casserole


Since eliminating mashed potatoes, breaded stuffing, cranberry sauce, candied yams, and dinner rolls from my Thanksgiving feast, there is not much left but the turkey. Turkey was never my favorite protein, so I used to bury it in carbs. My family still consumes the traditional fare, but my Thanksgiving has received a makeover.

While roast beef, ham, or turkey are naturally low-carb, side dishes require some imagination. I prefer to spend the best part of my time with guests, so I look for simple but worthy substitutes. Some of my favorites are mashed cauliflower and low-carb gravy, green beans cooked slowly with bacon, broccoli and cheese casserole, and pumpkin soup.

I adapted this brussels sprouts recipe from Cooking Panda. It was mostly low-carb. It just needed a tad of tweaking. The red pepper adds a subtle kick. After Barry and I devoured it, we both agreed that we would include this on our Thanksgiving menu. 

BACON BRUSSELS SPROUTS CASSEROLE

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Difficulty: easy
Servings: 6

Ingredients
  • 1 pound brussels sprouts, outer leaves and stems removed (Note: I buy them on the stalks) 
  • 6 strips bacon, cooked and chopped, divided 
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes 
  • Salt and pepper, to taste 
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream 
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (Note: I use imported cheese from Costco)
  • 1/2  to 1 cup of crushed pork rinds 
  • 2 tablespoons butter, cubed 
  • Bragg Organic Sprinkle added on top

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook brussels sprouts about 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain and chop brussels sprouts. 
  3. Add chopped brussels sprouts to a baking dish and stir in 1/2 of the chopped bacon, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. 
  4. Pour cream over brussels sprouts. Top with cheddar cheese, remaining bacon, pork rind crumbs, Bragg Organic Sprinkle, and dot with pieces of butter. 
  5. Bake for 15 minutes, or until top is golden brown and cheese is bubbly. Serve and enjoy!
Share your "COMMENTS" below↓

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for weighing in...