August 31, 2017

Low-Carb Earthquake Cake



For at least 2 decades, friends counted on me to bake my rich, sugary Earthquake Cake for special gatherings. It was a hit and I usually returned home with an empty cake pan. I figured that my low-carb lifestyle would put the kibosh on that tradition. Certainly, any low-carb version would be an inferior substitute—or so I thought.

I happened upon the All Day I Dream About Food blog and found a promising LCHF replacement. The revised recipe uses almond flour, whey protein, eggs, butter, Swerve, cream cheese, pecans, cold coffee, cocoa, and unsweetened coconut. It is high in fat and protein, low in carbs, and it even supplies healthy fiber.

An average sized piece was perfect for me. Having eliminated sugar, the sweetness of the stevia was not overpowering. I favored the sections where the embedded cream cheese frosting was plentiful. Was it exactly like the original? No. Nevertheless, my husband and teenage son (neither is a low-carber) raved about it!

Click HERE for the recipe.



Share your comments below↓

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for weighing in...