January 3, 2017

Uber-Tuber!


“What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.”
~A.A. Milne

When cravings set in, I seem to go UBER-TUBER! While others are reaching for the seasonal baked goods, I am eyeballing the buttermilk mashed potatoes and potato gratin. I just happen to be enamored with one of the highest carbs on the planet.

Botanically, potatoes are classified as a vegetable, although they are nutritionally classified as a starchy food. Potatoes normally replace pasta, rice, and bread during a meal. With 2 ounces of pasta averaging 14 grams of carbohydrates; a donut, 22 grams; a cinnamon roll, 32 grams; and a whole potato, 64 grams, my food craving adds up!  

I spent this holiday season experimenting with just how much I could indulge with potatoes without gaining weight. So, I welcomed small helpings of starchy spuds. Although my cravings increased, my weight stayed stationary from Thanksgiving to Christmas. I still have weight to lose, so potatoes will need to take a backseat.

My mother, Kathy, makes Pork and Sauerkraut on Mashed Potatoes for New Year's Day. This tradition was especially exciting for my Pennsylvania Dutch husband, Barry. He grew up eating this meal. Now that we reside in Idaho, Barry prepares this himself.

While I admit to having mashed potatoes on January 1st, I swapped out the potatoes for spaghetti squash when it came time for leftovers. I even added parmesan cheese just for kicks. I did not miss those tubers!

Spud-fully,
CLICK ON "COMMENTS" BELOW
TO WEIGH IN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for weighing in...