October 7, 2016

Roasted Cauliflower with Tahini Sauce

Credit: Todd Coleman | Saveur Magazine
I was craving tahini, so I borrowed a post from my previous blog, eye-dyllic. I wrote this piece in February of 2013 and included a recipe from Saveur—my favorite culinary magazine. I was not low-carbing then, yet I have always been attracted to low-carb dishes. The conflict was that my diet also included a large amount of carbohydrates.

✦      ✦      

Wherever I find myself, I quickly seek out the nearest Mediterranean and Middle Eastern restaurants. Typically, I am greeted with the familiar fare and no surprises. I am generally not disappointed, but there is one dish that is often excluded.

While living in Long Beach, CA, I frequented a Middle Eastern restaurant that inhabited an old adobe-style Taco Bell. It was there that I discovered Roasted Cauliflower with Tahini Sauce! This particular dish was refreshing, unusual, satisfying, and obviously healthy! I have not had it anywhere since, so I decided to make it myself! 

Saveur magazine to the rescue! They feature a recipe with ingredients that match my taste experience. If you like Middle Eastern food, this should please you.

ROASTED CAULIFLOWER WITH TAHINI SAUCE

Serves 4—6

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 2 heads cauliflower, cored and cut into 1 1/2'' florets
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup tahini (a vegan sesame seed paste)
  • 3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced into a paste
  • Juice of 1 lemon
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Heat oven to 500°. Toss together oil, cumin, cauliflower, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Transfer to 2 rimmed baking sheets; spread out evenly. Bake, rotating pans from top to bottom and front to back, until cauliflower is browned and tender, 25-30 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, combine tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup water in a small bowl and season with salt. Serve cauliflower hot or at room temperature with tahini sauce.
Enjoy!
CLICK ON "COMMENTS" BELOW
TO WEIGH IN.

1 comment:

Thanks for weighing in...