October 2, 2016

5 Tips to Make Low-Carb Tick!


Sadly, my mom has Type 2 Diabetes and macular degeneration. This was the impetus for my switching to a low-carb lifestyle. What's written in the genes could become own my reality; and being overweight exacerbates a predisposition. In sports the offensive team is in control of the ball. I intend to stay on the offensive.

I have adapted keto, low-carb habits. This appears to be working. My goal is to keep my carbs low enough to ensure that my liver produces ketones for energy. This places me in a state of ketosis.

I have yet to invest in ketone measurement tools. This is mostly due to the expense. Fortunately, I have no major health issues that require consistent monitoring, but I recognize the value of stats.
  • Acetoacetate (Ketones in Urine): These are test strips that work until one becomes fat adapted. 
  • Beta-Hydroxybutyrate (Ketone in the Blood): Blood testing is considered the gold standard of ketone measurement.
  • Acetone (Ketones in Breath): I would rather do this than draw blood. Soon, I will be purchasing a Ketonix Ketone Breath Analyzer
For now, I pay close attention to my body. I am continuously tweaking the balance of my nutritional intake. Keep in mind that everyone is different. It was once believed that a low-carb diet is a one-size-fits-all. This is simply not true. 

HERE IS WHAT I WATCH FOR . . .

If I experience bloating . . .
. . . I review my meals to see if there were hidden ingredients—such as sugar, grains, and starches.

If I am gaining weight or weight loss is stalled . . .
. . . I evaluate my carb and protein intake. Am I including too many high carb vegetables? Is my meat consumption excessive?

I love potatoes, but they hit the bell in carb counts. Still, as a rare treat, I indulge in a small batch of French cut potatoes cooked in duck fat or I Spiralize™ root vegetables. In small doses, this is reasonable. If I lose my brakes, my body scolds me.

I was on the Dr. Atkins diet in 1973, which encouraged liberal meat consumption. The consensus now is that too much protein causes gluconeogenesis. This process turns proteins into glucose (simple sugar) and prevents ketosis. I avoid lean meats and include plenty of fatty meat, often adding butter.

When I have eaten low-carb meals and still feel hungry . . .
. . . I increase my fat intake. Fat causes satiety.

If any of the above is occurring . . .
. . . I engage in intermittent fasting. I generally eat within an 8-hour window and fast for the remaining 16-hours. This gives my body a chance to heal and recharge. Fasting for longer periods is not only beneficial, but satiation makes it a breeze.

When I can go for hours without hunger . . .
. . . this is usually a good sign that my carb, protein, and fat intake levels are working. I experienced this today. I contently fasted for hours. Usually, I will be rewarded when I weigh myself in the morning.

CLICK ON "COMMENTS" BELOW
TO WEIGH IN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for weighing in...