October 30, 2016

61 Ways to Leave Your Sugar


SUGAR BLUES
Back in the 80s, my hypoglycemic friend directed me to Sugar Blues, an exposé written by William Dufty in 1975. I received an eyeopening education, although I was only half listening. Of course I sympathized with my friend, but I naively believed that sugar was not an issue with me.

WARNING SIGNS
I now acknowledge the sugarcoated consequences. I have not been diagnosed with a sugar related disease, but I see the warning signs. For example, a major indicator of pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes (hypoglycemia) is the waist-to-hip ratio, meaning that the waist outmeasures the hips. My waist has been winning for years! Accumulated weight in the midsection causes the fat cells to collectively behave like a tumor. A tumor wants to grow and it feeds itself on sugar. Factor in the sugar induced inflammation; premature aging; damage to eyes, skin, and organs . . . and "Houston, we have a problem."

HIDE-AND-SEEK
It was hard to imagine not missing sugar. After a year of being sugar free, it is now difficult imagine ever wanting it again! Yet, buyer beware. Sugar is a con artist. Our food and pharmaceutical industries are counting on Americans remaining addicted to it. With 61 names for sugar, it is no wonder that it feels like a game of hide-and-seek.

61 Ways to Leave Your Sugar
Agave nectar
Barbados sugar
Barley malt
Barley malt syrup
Beet sugar
Brown sugar
Buttered syrup
Cane juice
Cane juice crystals
Cane sugar
Caramel
Carob syrup
Castor sugar
Coconut palm sugar
Coconut sugar
Confectioner's sugar
Corn sweetener
Corn syrup
Corn syrup solids
Date sugar
Dehydrated cane juice
Demerara sugar
Dextrin
Dextrose
Evaporated cane juice
Free-flowing brown sugars
Fructose
Fruit juice
Fruit juice concentrate
Glucose
Glucose solids
Golden sugar
Golden syrup
Grape sugar
HFCS (High-Fructose Corn Syrup)
Honey
Icing sugar
Invert sugar
Malt syrup
Maltodextrin
Maltol
Maltose
Mannose
Maple syrup
Molasses
Muscovado
Palm sugar
Panocha
Powdered sugar
Raw sugar
Refiner's syrup
Rice syrup
Saccharose
Sorghum Syrup
Sucrose
Sugar (granulated)
Sweet Sorghum
Syrup
Treacle
Turbinado sugar
Yellow sugar

CLICK ON "COMMENTS" BELOW
TO WEIGH IN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for weighing in...