December 11, 2016

The Christmas Tree Napkin Fold Backstory

Romantic Homes Magazine
Catherine left a comment on my eye-dyllic 2007 blog post, An Original Christmas Tree Napkin Fold. She said... 
"We were doing this fold in 1999 at an Army Mess in Australia. Don't think it's your invention."
Catherine's words were a little off-putting. She seemed more intent on challenging me than connecting. Nevertheless, I did state that this was an "original" fold. No one had ever disputed it.

I conducted creative retail workshops in Southern California. I concentrated on developing new ideas, refreshing old ones, and incorporating store merchandise. Tablescapes were a central theme and napkin folding was a favorite activity with my guests.

I "dreamed up" this whimsical Christmas tree—in the mid 1980s—while playing with a traditional fold. I had no help. Nor had I found it within the numerous napkin folding books on the market.

It was in 2007 that I first published An Original Christmas Tree Napkin Fold on eye-dyllic. I still had not observed the fold anywhere and that included periodicals, the web, and TV. That original post attracted a large amount of visitors. In fact, it was after 2007 that I began to see this napkin fold show up in surprising places.

Ecclesiastes 1:9 states, "...and there is nothing new under the sun." The likelihood of someone else dreaming up a similar idea is not improbable. Catherine said she was using the fold in 1999 and I believe her. Then again, I was teaching the fold in the 1980s. The internet can be a form of surrender once something is made public. Regardless of where it came from, this little Christmas tree remains one of my favorite Christmas accessories.

Romantic Homes magazine, recently showcased this charming example of the Christmas Tree Napkin Fold. (I have embellished it with stars, bows, even a keepsake pin.) A Norwex ad used this idea to make rustic, standing Christmas trees made out of folded green washcloths. I have also watched an impressive video tutorial. 

You can find it HERE on "Everlovin' Low-Carb".

CLICK ON "COMMENTS" BELOW
TO WEIGH IN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for weighing in...