July 31, 2016

Miracle Noodles | Shirataki

https://miraclenoodle.com/collections/miracle-noodle-rice-products

I hope to never forfeit the adventurous side of food. This is one reason why I am more focused on the culinary experience than the actual stats. I am fortunate that I can make this choice. Cutting out the carbage does involve making adjustments to traditional recipes, but nothing is beyond the help of real-food substitutions.

I have mentioned before that my favorite "P" words were pastry, pasta, and potatoes. I eat a smidgeon of potatoes and bypass pastry and pasta, but I am hardly suffering. There are so many alternatives.

For instance, I have added Miracle Noodles to the menu. Also known as Shirataki, they remind me of "cellophane" or "glass" noodles, but without the starch derived from casaba, mung beans, and potatoes. Regrettably, starch is a major carb. In contrast, Miracle Noodles are gluten, calorie, and soy free, and they are perfect for a low-carb diet. 
Wikipedia shares this:
Shirataki (白滝, often written with the hiragana しらたき) are thin, translucent, gelatinous traditional Japanese noodles made from the konjac yam (devil's tongue yam or elephant yam). The word "shirataki" means "white waterfall", describing the appearance of these noodles.
Admittedly, the texture is more fibrous on the tongue, but the noodles absorb sauces beautifully! There is far more variety on their website; however a few of their products can be found in the refrigerated section of Whole Foods. Click HERE for recipes.

CLICK ON "COMMENTS" BELOW
TO WEIGH IN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for weighing in...